Invisalign vs Braces
Most people want a beautiful smile. To accomplish that goal, many decide to straighten their teeth. When considering options to straighten teeth, it comes down to comparing Invisalign vs braces.
When considering differences of Invisalign vs braces, it’s important to understand the unique advantages and disadvantages of each option. Both systems help straighten your teeth to their ideal position, realign crowded teeth, gaps between teeth, overbite, and crossbite, allowing them to function properly, and leaving your smile looking great. However, there are a few differences between the two.
Traditional metal braces
Traditional braces involve the use of brackets, bonding material, and an archwire. The brackets bond to teeth with the archwire connected to the brackets. Orthodontists can position and tighten the wires as they like, to make sure teeth are being pulled in the right direction.
The braces will stay affixed in the mouth throughout the duration of the treatment, which can last approximately two years. Orthodontic check-up visits every 4-8 weeks are typical for braces.
Benefits of traditional braces
- Effectively treats a wider variety of cases
- Tends to be more effective in extreme circumstances, such as with patients needing a dramatic rotation of canines and premolars or moving teeth vertically
- Pain and discomfort, due mainly to mouth sores from brackets and wires
- Wire injuries
- Tooth decay – brushing and flossing may be inadequate due to interference by braces
- Plaque buildup
- Tooth discoloration
- Tooth/bracket breakage
- Limitation of the type and variety of foods you can eat
Invisalign – the clear alternative to braces
Invisalign offers a convenient and comfortable way to straighten teeth without wires and brackets. The process incorporates the use of removable, clear aligner trays to straighten teeth and employs 3D computer imaging technology to depict the treatment plan from initial positioning to the desired result. The aligners gradually guide the teeth into place.
After two weeks of wear, patients will replace aligners with the next one in the series. Checkup visits are generally every six weeks, where progress is checked and new aligner trays are provided.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Aligner trays are clear and virtually invisible
- Trays are removable for easy cleaning
- You can eat without restrictions
- Minimal interference to lifestyle
- Smooth and comfortable design
- Healthier teeth and gums
- Not as effective as traditional braces in some situations
- Must wear trays at least 22 hours per day, which can take some discipline
- Must remove aligners when eating or drinking anything besides water
- Can stain, so regular cleaning and brushing after eating/drinking is necessary
Can’t decide between Invisalign vs braces? Contact Dr. Dondo
When comparing Invisalign vs braces, Invisalign is a comfortable and convenient alternative to braces, providing patients the smile they’ve always wanted without some of the disadvantages of traditional braces. Dr. Dondo Dental Excellence specializes in the Invisalign technique. Contact Dr. Dondo to see if Invisalign is the right option for you.
March 7, 2018
February 21, 2018
February 7, 2018